“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”
The wonders of the world are limitless and one can hardly be expected to conquer them all in one lifetime, but I’m up for the challenge. Here’s a bucket-list of places off of the top of my head that I’ve always yearned to revisit or explore. It’s an on-going collection of cities and sights, most of which are travels inspired by some of my favorite movies.
- Thailand- Rich in tradition, food, and lighting ceremonies. This particular photo is of the celebrated Yi Peng Lantern Festival which symbolizes good luck and worries floating away. It’s also a real-life version of one of my top three Disney movies, Tangled, so that’s another motivating factor.
- Paris, France- I was first introduced to the City of Lights during a study abroad with the University of Florida in Spring 2009 and (so far) it’s my second favorite city in the world.
- The Great Wall of China- Who wouldn’t want to visit a massive man-made structure that can also be seen from space? Maybe I’ve watched Mulan too many times.
- The Berlin Wall, Germany- The ruins that mark a fascinating and horrific period in world history.
- India- No specific destination needed- this beautiful jungle country has an atmosphere than I can only describe as transcendental. Vibrant people, culture, nature…what’s not to love? Brief scenes from a childhood movie I adore, A Little Princess, and music from the great Ravi Shankar inspire this quest.
- Japan- And so it seems that I tend to lean towards the Asian countries…I blame Japan’s magnetism on the elegant wisdom of the people, the peaceful bonsai and cherry blossom trees, and the society that is both extremely advanced, as well as rooted in custom.
- New Zealand- Um, hello, Middle Earth and The Shire! I apologize, sometimes my inner geek gets a little too excited about the possibility of seeing the actual movie set. My real dream, however, is to bust out the ol’ camping gear and boots for a hiking expedition here one day. I wouldn’t complain about a hobbit sighting, though.
And last (for now) but definitely not least…
- The Great Barrier Reef, Australia- Home of the world’s deadliest jellyfish, tons of Great Whites, amazing surf, and some of the most colorful creatures you will ever see. Just watch Finding Nemo (clearly a documentary on the reef itself) and you will become a believer. Few things are as close to my heart as the ocean. It’s awesome. Space is cool and all, but really, there’s an entire world ON OUR PLANET that’s just waiting to tickle the fancies of scientists. Diving trip, anyone?
To be continued…